Growing Indigenous Tourism in Queensland Fund
Queensland is home to world-class Indigenous tourism experiences and has the unique ability for visitors to experience both Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture.
To enhance the current Indigenous tourism offerings, we are investing $7 million into the Growing Indigenous Tourism in Queensland Fund.
This fund will be delivered over two years to support the development of new and sustainable Indigenous tourism products and experiences that will encourage high value travellers to visit Queensland.
Aims and objectives
The Growing Indigenous Tourism in Queensland Fund aims to support the development and growth of sustainable Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander tourism businesses and increase the capability of these businesses to deliver high quality tourism products and experiences.
The key objectives of the fund are to:
- Support the development of new, unique and innovative Indigenous tourism products and experiences in Queensland, particularly in regional areas and in ecotourism.
- Support the growth of sustainable Indigenous tourism businesses that help to increase overnight visitor expenditure.
- Increase the ability of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander businesses to develop and/or deliver enhanced Indigenous tourism products and experiences.
- Help Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander businesses to develop strong business cases to take their business to market or secure funding.
- Improve economic opportunities and create new jobs or career pathways for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Queenslanders.
- Benefit Queensland’s economy by driving economic development and diversity in communities.
Funding is offered under the following project categories:
- Develop: to progress the development of a concept for an Indigenous tourism product or experience:
- Maximum funding $25,000
- No minimum funding criteria
- No matched funding required
- Deliver: to enhance Indigenous tourism by delivering a product or experience, or improving/developing built infrastructure and facilities:
- Maximum funding $1 million
- Minimum funding $250,000
- At least 30% matched funding required.
Applicants can seek funding from other non-Queensland Government or industry sources for the project to support the matched funding requirement. Matched funding can be a mixture of in-kind and cash contributions.
How to apply
The Fund application process is completed in two stages, an expression of interest and full application stage.
Expression of Interest stage (Project Category 1 or 2)
The online expression of interest form will guide you through the process to complete your applications.
Outcomes of the expression of interest stage will be available to you within approximately six weeks. If successful you will be offered funding (Category 1 only) or invited to submit a Full Application (Category 2 only).
Applications close: 5pm AEST Tuesday 21 April 2020.
Full Application stage (Project Category 2 only)
You will have eight weeks from the date we notified you of your successful expression of interest to complete the full application.
Unsuccessful applicants will be provided with brief feedback from both stages of the process.
The Growing Indigenous Tourism in Queensland Fund is available to eligible applicants only. This includes organisations that are:
- an Indigenous business that is at least 50% or more owned by an Aboriginal person/s and/or Torres Strait Islander person/s that is focus on providing tourism related outcomes
- a legal entity, have an Australian Business Number (ABN) and be registered for GST; and
- adhere to any relevant requirements under the Corporations (Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander) Act 2006.
As part of the application process, eligible applicants are encouraged to provide information detailing how funding for a tourism product or experience can facilitate achieving the key objectives of the Fund.
Last updated: 21 Feb 2020