Advancing Indigenous Business
Successful Indigenous businesses are essential to achieving maximum economic participation for Aboriginal people and Torres Strait Islander people. The Queensland Government is committed to supporting these businesses to start, grow and employ.
As part of the Advancing Small Business Queensland Strategy 2016–20, the Advancing Indigenous Business initiative is delivering targeted support for Aboriginal people and Torres Strait Islander people who are business owners and operators, enabling them to unlock their full potential and navigate the rapidly changing economic landscape.
The objective of the Advancing Indigenous Business initiative is to:
- facilitate a more coordinated approach across the Queensland Government to connect Aboriginal people and Torres Strait Islander people with business support across the state;
- increase the engagement and participation of Aboriginal people and Torres Strait Islander people in the Accelerate Indigenous Small Business Grants Program as well as other grants offered by the Queensland Government;
- increase engagement by Aboriginal people and Torres Strait Islander people in Office of Small Business activities (such as mentoring, workshops and events);
- increase the number of businesses in Queensland owned by Aboriginal people and Torres Strait Islander people and improve business success rates;
- develop tools and guides to help established businesses to grow and to employ more Aboriginal people and Torres Strait Islander people.
The Office of Small Business is continuing to strengthen connections with key stakeholder groups, other levels of government and key organisations by identifying areas for collaboration and information sharing. This includes small businesses, chambers of commerce, business networks, banks, major corporations and key federal, state and local government agencies.
We will address the unique challenges faced Indigenous businesses by ensuring that we recognise, celebrate and accommodate cultural diversity in the delivery of initiatives and support.